The IRS recently announced the launch of web sites for non-tax filers to register to receive their economic impact payment and a new Get My Payment tool. Here is what you need to know.


As a response to the coronavirus pandemic, the government is sending $1,200 to single taxpayers with income less than $75,000 ($98,000 with phaseouts). $2,400 is being sent to married taxpayers with income less than $150,000 ($198,000 with phaseouts). An additional $500 is being sent for each child under the age of 17.

The Problem

The payments are being made based on 2019 or 2018 tax returns. If you do not need to file a tax return, you run the risk of not receiving this payment. Additionally, getting payments out to everyone is technically complex. The IRS must look at both 2019 tax returns and 2018 tax returns, PLUS they are directed by Congress to match these files against two years of Social Security filings for seniors. Not an easy task!

The Solution

The IRS worked to launch a way to register to receive your payment and to determine the status of your payment. You can find the sites here:

For non-filers: Submit information to receive an Economic Impact Payment

Payment status and direct deposit registration: There is also an IRS provided Get Your Payment tool to register to receive your payment via direct deposit.

It can be found here: Get My Payment Tool

This tool will also be used to review the status of your payment.

Who should use

If you fall into one of these cases, you need to review whether it makes sense to use these tools.

Not required to file. If you have not filed a tax return in either 2018 or 2019, using the non-filer tool or other tax filings methods is the only way to receive the payment.

College students. If you are not a dependent on someone else’s tax return, you need to look into using the non-filer tool. If you are a dependent, it may also be worth a conversation to see if you can or should change your filing status in 2019 in order to receive this payment.

Non-filer. Even if you know you need to file a tax return, but have not yet done so, consider using the tool. You will still need to file a tax return, but in the meantime, you can receive your payment.

Seniors. Seniors that do not file tax returns in 2018 or 2019 will eventually receive the payment based upon their form 1099-SA or railroad retirement information. The non-filer site asks you not to register, but you may receive the payment sooner AND protect your identity from would be thieves by filing a tax return.

To check on status or speed things up. Want faster payment? Payment not yet received? Use the Get My Payment tool to help understand the status of your payment.

The Economic Impact Payments are now officially being sent out, so the sooner you let the IRS know that your payment should be included, the sooner your payment will arrive.